The 7 Reasons Why I Decided Not To Vaccinate
This is a GUEST POST written by Bethany Tamara.
(Original post was shared on FB and reposted with her permission)
I see that look on your face and I get the feeling you’re wondering if you should be signing me into the psyche ward. I get it! You think, “Why would any sane parent decide against vaccinating?”
May I share my reasons with you? But first, let me assure you that I don’t expect you to share my perspective and I will NEVER criticize you or think less of you if you think differently. That said, I should warn you that I have some strong feelings on this topic. There is a list of resources at the bottom.
There are pros and cons for most decisions. From where I’m sitting, the pros are:
A) X DISEASE: Potential protection from several unpleasant, but not typically fatal diseases (which you may or may not ever be exposed to).
B) HERD IMMUNITY: This is the theory that by vaccinating you are protecting the wider community. It sounds good, but I don’t genuinely view it as a “pro” because it’s not true. The theory originated with statisticians in the early 20th century who observed the way NATURAL immunity protected the community. But natural and vaccine based immunity are NOT the same and evidence for vaccine based herd immunity is lacking and worse, there is mounting evidence to the contrary. (Natural immunity lasts 20yrs – life, can be passed through breast milk and is a much stronger protection against disease than vaccine based immunity in which antibodies begin to wane after 1 month and the immunity it provides, which cannot be transferred through breast milk, lasts 12 months – ten years. And then there are those for whom vaccines do not create antibodies. This is why China has both 99% vaccination rates and measles epidemics.)
For me personally, the cons list happens to be a bit longer.
1) WHO’S AFRAID OF THE BIG, BAD WOLF? Every parent has something that makes their knees weak with fear and horror. For me this all wrapped up in what I call “the encephalitis cry.” I’m not talking about five minutes of fussing, but the fever + hours of non stop screaming that so many parents report after their babies get the jab. Encephalitis, or swelling of the brain is associated with fevers, headaches and sometimes convulsions. Babies can’t tell us they have a terrible headache, but they can scream. Encephalitis is listed as a rare side effect of most childhood vaccines but fevers and screaming post vaccination are considered normal. This very thought makes my heart ache and every part of me screams NO! Some other vaccine sides effects that REALLY bother me include seizures, hypotonic hyporesponsive episode (also called “shock like state” or “collapse”) and death.
2) READ THE LABEL: I decided to use cloth nappies full time once I learned about the toxic chemicals in disposables. I also read the label on everything I buy in the supermarket. Well, I have read the ingredients list on all of the vaccines currently on our schedule and there’s no way they’d be on my shopping list! Vaccines include aborted fetal cell tissue, monkey kidney tissue, aluminium, polysorbate 80 (used in chemotherapy to open the blood brain barrier) formaldehyde and mercury (trace amounts). Though not listed, glyphosate (round up) has also been found in vaccines. (Studies listed under resources cover the effects of these ingredients in the human body)
3) THE BUCK STOPS HERE: If there was a car seat where the manufacturer could not be held liable for any defects, I wouldn’t buy it no matter how loudly the sales rep told me it was safe. End of story. Just so, I’m not okay with the laws that protect the vaccine manufacturers from lawsuit. I’m definitely not okay with the limited and inadequate safety testing that has been done. What makes it worse is that while the US has a Vaccine Damage Compensation program (which has paid out close to 4 billlion dollars in damages) there is nothing like this in Australia. If my child is damaged or disabled by his/her vaccine, no one is liable and I will be left ALONE to pick up the pieces.
4) TOOTHLESS LIONS: As a child I loved Pilgrims Progress. If you read it, you’ll remember the dark night when Christian reaches the House Beautiful and stops dead at the sight of two huge lions barricading his path. But the porter tells him not to be afraid, because they have no teeth! This is how I feel about the childhood diseases we vaccinate against. I’m not scared of them. Polio? Did you know that the polio virus only causes long term paralysis in 1% of cases? (there were a number of factors that combined to cause the terrible epidemic of paralysis in the mid 1900s). Measles? typically involves 5-7 days of rash and fever. Whooping cough? according to Dr Suzanne Humphries, even whooping cough, when treated with high doses of Vitamin C can be a mild illness – and the natural immunity gained lasts close to a lifetime (min. 30 yrs) which can be passed on through breast milk (vaccine based immunity does not pass through breast milk in levels that provide any protection). Recent scientific studies are also now finding that experiencing these childhood diseases can protect the individual from later autoimmunity and cancers.
5) WHAT’S YOUR STORY? Everyone has a story. These stories are precious and they MATTER. Recently, I saw a mouse in my laundry so when I came across an advertisement for an electronic pest remover the next day I was interested! But I noticed a decent number of reviews saying it didn’t work. Would you buy it? I didn’t. Personal experiences may not be considered “scientific evidence” but that doesn’t mean they don’t count. Of course, you may want to use some common sense. For example, if I read a review on the pest remover that said, “I bought this device, and the next day my car wouldn’t start,” I might not take it very seriously! But I have personally spoken with a number of parents who have told me stories like “hours after her vaccination we were rushing my previously perfectly healthy baby to the emergency room, praying she wouldn’t die on the way,” “before his vaccination, my boy was speaking in sentences, but the day after, he could no longer speak at all” and when I hear the same types of stories over and over and over and over from different families…they are impossible to ignore. Each story, with it’s tale of pain and loss has registered in my heart.
Then there’s the other stories; like my own. I was raised without a single vaccine, as were 6 siblings. I never had anything worse than a 24 hour cold or tummy ache, was never hospitalized, never saw a doctor and have never taken an antibiotic. I always just thought we were lucky, but now I have chatted to many, many others who had the same experience. The ones that have amazed me the most are the families with both vaccinated AND unvaccinated children and they detail the noticeable difference in general health they have noticed between their vaccinated and unvaccinated children. The unvaccinated siblings are FAR healthier. (A recent pilot study found evidence of this same effect – see below.)
6) FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE: the more I learn about how the body works, the more amazed I am. Our body comes with it’s own epic army to protect us from the invading “armies” of bacteria, viruses and infections. We can work with our internal army and make it stronger by sending in reinforcements (quality vitamins, apple cider vinegar, minerals, probiotics, prebiotics and eating an alkalising diet). On the other hand, eating highly processed foods kills off good soldiers. Antibiotics and many other pharmaceutical products are designed to destroy both armies – the good and the bad. This leaves us defenseless against the next attack. Similarly while vaccines may protect against the diseases they are designed to “immunize” you against for a time, they compromise the immune system and lower general health. My preferred approach is to prepare my babies for an “invasion” by helping them build a strong immune system and then work with the body to fight whatever may come. I trust that they will revel in their naturally won immunity for many, many years to come, just as I have.
7) CHEERS: Lastly, I want to say thank you! I treasure each one of you, my friends, and I’m touched by the the kindness and respect you have shown me by hearing me out. If you want to share your experiences and perspective with me, I’m more than willing to listen.
Blessings and love from my family to yours xx
I know I’ve made a few strong statements. I trust you’ll allow this since I am merely sharing my own perspective. But if you would like to challenge me, I ask you to show me the respect of reading through my resources first. I will admit that this list includes some articles and blogs as well as peer reviewed papers. However, I have ONLY included articles that are well referenced OR were written by a medical doctor or scientist.
My use of the word “potential” here comes in part from the fact that most of the vaccinated people I have been in contact with have admitted to me that they went on to contract many of the diseases they were vaccinated against. The following studies also note this phenomena.
STUDY: Difficulties in Eliminating Measles and Controlling Rubella and Mumps https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3930734/
STUDY: Pertussis Infection in Fully Vaccinated Children in Day-Care Centres
STUDY: What, in Fact, Is the Evidence That Vaccinating Healthcare Workers against Seasonal Influenza Protects Their Patients? A Critical Review
STUDY: Whooping cough resurgence due to vaccinated people not knowing they’re infectious?
STUDY: Asymptomatic transmission and the resurgence of Bordetella pertussis
STUDY: Adverse effects of the herd immunity or when childhood vaccination becomes deleterious for the epidemiology of infectious diseases in adults
STUDY: The Case against Universal Varicella Vaccination
ARTICLE: Why Is China Having Measles Outbreaks When 99% Are Vaccinated?
ARTICLE: Herd Immunity – DR Suzanne Humphries, MD
ARTICLE: Herd Immunity – Myth or Reality – Tetyana Obukhanych, Immunologist
ARTICLE: The 2013 Measles Outbreak: A Failing Vaccine, Not A Failure To Vaccinate
My concerns about post vaccine encephalitis has grown as I am a member of many, many “mummy groups” on facebook and just so often I encounter posts by well meaning mums about the screaming, fevers, insomnia and other “normalised” vaccine reactions, many of which sound suspiciously like encephalitis to me. I never say anything, but my breaks a bit more every time I read one of these posts and every week I become more determined that I won’t be running this risk with my precious babies. Yes, I’m aware that childhood illnesses can lead to complications (more on that later). But I feel much better equipped to deal with childhood illnesses and protect my babies from a negative outcome than I feel about taking my baby in for shots that may or may not leave him/her screaming in pain.
The resources below do not speak to this normalised encephalitis cry, but rather the evidence of encephalitis in the scientific literature as a documented vaccine reaction.
INFOPAGE: Vaccine Inserts
STUDY: Deep sequencing reveals persistence of cell-associated mumps vaccine virus in chronic encephalitis
“The previously healthy proband developed fatal encephalitis after exposure to the live attenuated measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine.”
STUDY: Human IFNAR2 deficiency: Lessons for antiviral immunity
STUDY: Sudden infant death following hexavalent vaccination
STUDY: Relative trends in hospitalizations and mortality among infants by the number of vaccine doses and age
STUDY: Infant Mortality Rates Regressed against number of Vaccines
STUDY: Simultaneous sudden infant death syndrome
“This study reports a significant increase in the incidence of sepsis evaluations, respiratory support, and intubation after immunization of premature babies in the NICU.”
STUDY: Differentiating Sepsis From Adverse Events After Immunization in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
INFOPAGE: When the CDC Pertussis VIS says, “Lowered Consciousness,” It Means Hypotonic-Hyporesponsive Episode
ARTICLE: The Vaccine Did It: Mutated MMR Mumps Virus in the Brain of a Child Caused His Death, British Researchers Confirm
“Boys vaccinated as neonates had threefold greater odds for autism diagnosis compared to boys never vaccinated or vaccinated after the first month of life.”
STUDY: Hepatitis B vaccination of male neonates and autism diagnosis
STUDY: Adverse Events following 12 and 18 Month Vaccinations
Let me be clear here: I am not concerned about the ingredients in vaccines because they “sound scary.” There are studies (many, many more than the sampling I share here) that have explored the effect each of these ingredients has in the body. Some of these studies have looked at their effect in vaccine relevant amounts. What I am sharing here is just the tip of the iceberg.
BLOG: Why Disposable Diapers are Dirty and Dangerous
INFOPAGE: Vaccine Excipient & Media Summary
BLOG: 7 Most Disgusting Ingredients used to make Vaccines
INFOPAGE: Vaccines, Abortion & Fetal Tissue
STUDY: Characteristics and viral propagation properties of a new human diploid cell line, Walvax-2, and its suitability as a candidate cell substrate for vaccine production
“Vaccines manufactured in human fetal cell lines contain unacceptably high levels of fetal DNA fragment contaminants. The human genome naturally contains regions that are susceptible to double strand break formation and DNA insertional mutagenesis.”
STUDY:Epidemiologic and Molecular Relationship Between Vaccine Manufacture and Autism Spectrum Disorder Prevalence
STUDY: Spontaneous Integration of Human DNA Fragments into Host Genome
STUDY: Aluminum-Induced Entropy in Biological Systems: Implications for Neurological Disease
STUDY: Epidemiologic and Molecular Relationship Between Vaccine Manufacture and Autism Spectrum Disorder Prevalence
STUDY: Aluminum overload increases oxidative stress in four functional brain areas of neonatal rats
STUDY: Aluminium neurotoxicity: neurobehavioural and oxidative aspects
STUDY: Mechanisms of aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations
STUDY: A role for the body burden of aluminium in vaccine-associated macrophagic myofasciitis and chronic fatigue syndrome
STUDY: Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration
STUDY: Aluminum adjuvant linked to Gulf War illness induces motor neuron death in mice
STUDY: Administration of aluminium to neonatal mice in vaccine-relevant amounts is associated with adverse long term neurological outcomes
ARTICLE: Vaccines and Retroviruses: A Whistleblower’s Revelations
STUDY: Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity of Formaldehyde
DOCUMENTARY: Trace Amounts
ARTICLE: Glyphosate and Celiac Disease, Autism, Alzheimer’s
ARTICLE: New Study reveals Prevalence of Contaminants in Vaccines
In addressing childhood diseases, I would like to acknowledge the experiences of those who have suffered and even lost their lives. I have no wish to ignore the fact that they can lead to serious complications. However, I feel that once the actual statistics and historical facts are examined, you will see that the risk from these diseases has, perhaps, been exaggerated.
“First in 1935, I was in private practice in the coal-mining town of Bedlington, England when the triennial measles epidemic struck. Walking or cycling, I would visit the homes of sick children, and in one day would see 20-30 new measles cases. Those were the Depression years, and the children’s diets were decidedly subnormal. It was also the days before antibiotics, so that the treatment was mostly symptomatic and ineffectual. Yet out of more than 500 sick children under my care, not a single one died.” – Aidan Cockburn (1912 – 1981), 1971
“For over 100 years, there has been a strong association with vitamin A deficiency and adverse measles outcomes, especially in young children.” Dr. Justus Strom, 1960
“Most cases of whooping cough are relatively mild. Such cases are difficult to diagnose without a high index of suspicion because doctors are unlikely to hear the characteristic cough, which may be the only symptom. Parents can be reassured that a serious outcome is unlikely.” – Dr Douglas Jenkinson, 1995
I would also like to comment specifically on whooping cough. I’m aware that this can be a terrible illnesses, especially in very young infants. However, I do personally believe that this illness does not have to be the terrible stereotypical picture of suffering we see. The majority of my family caught whooping cough. I was 17 at the time and the youngest was under a year old. None of us experienced it in any kind of the severity that I have read about as typical. I will admit that my baby sister was taken to the hospital, but this was not as a result of the severity of her symptoms, but because my dad, who is a nurse, was concerned that she had lost some weight and wasn’t eating well. Another family we knew also caught whooping cough and later commented to us that the one child who “loved her dairy products” got the worst symptoms. It is my understanding that the cough in whooping cough is related to the body’s attempts to remove thick mucus. Therefore, it makes sense to me that eating mucus forming foods (including dairy products) could make this worse and I wonder if part of the reason why my family all experienced mild whooping cough was because we didn’t include dairy products in our diet.
In my recent research, I have read case studies from a doctor who has successfully treated whooping cough with high doses of Vitamin C. This is detailed in the links below.
STUDY: Immune response to Bordetella pertussis (whooping cough) is associated with season and undernutrition in Senegalese children
ARTICLE: Why Is Nobody Studying Vitamin C In Whooping Cough?
ARTICLE: Special Report:The Vitamin C Treatment of Whooping Cough
ARTICLE: Whooping Cough: The Reality
ARTICLE: An Honest Look at the Historical Evidence that Vaccines Eliminated Diseases
ARTICLE: Measles: A Rash of Misinformation
ARTICLE: The Unreported Health Benefits of Measles
ARTICLE: The Failure of Global Polio Eradication
PAPER: Vitamin C and Polio
ARTICLE: Great Women in Medicine Elizabeth Kenny
STUDY: Vaccine-derived polioviruses and the endgame strategy for global polio eradication
ARTICLE: Spraying DDT to Eradicate Polio
ARTICLE: Everything You Learned About The Cause of Polio Is Wrong
I am yet to find any evidence of a double blind true placebo based safety study for any vaccine, or any safety testing for administering multiple vaccine at once. If you have found one, please be sure to forward it to me.
INFOPAGE: REVIEW OUR VACCINE CASE RESULTS – Read Actual Decisions and Award Amounts That Our Clients Received
STORY: 13 Year-Old Boy Permanently Disabled from Chicken Pox Vaccine Wins His Case in Vaccine Court (insider view of Vaccine Court)
There are so many thousands of stories of vaccine injured children, so I have decided to restrict myself to sharing a small sampling of stories here. There are many, many more like these.
(Amazing letter – highly recommend)
STORY: Dear Yoga Girl – a Letter from Three Mothers
STUDY: Pilot comparative study on the health of vaccinated and unvaccinated
STUDY: Effects of diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis or tetanus vaccination on allergies and allergy-related respiratory symptoms among children and adolescents in the United States.
ARTICLE: The Clinical Impact of Vitamin C: My Personal Experiences as a Physician
ARTICLE: Research Proving Vitamin C’s Therapeutic Value in 200+ Diseases
ARTICLE: 36 Immune Benefits of Probiotics
ARTICLE: Psychobiotics: Bacteria For Your Brain?
ARTICLE: A Reflection On Antibiotics – Dr Suzanne Humphries, MD
STUDY: Acellular pertussis vaccination facilitates Bordetella parapertussis infection in a rodent model of bordetellosis
STUDY: Increased Risk of Noninfluenza Respiratory Virus Infections Associated With Receipt of Inactivated Influenza Vaccine
STUDY: Effectiveness of trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine in influenza-related hospitalization in children: a case-control study.
STUDY: Th1 and Th2 responses: what are they?
STUDY: Th1/Th2 Balance: The Hypothesis, its Limitations, and Implications for
Health and Disease
ARTICLE: How Do Vaccines Work? Immune Mechanisms and Consequences
If you’ve read this far, I’m impressed. You just might be a crazier than me! ?Thanks again xx ??